Sunday 5 June 2016

TTM Success - Children's Author Beverly Cleary

Beverly Cleary, born 1916, is an author of fiction for children and young adults. One of America's most successful living authors, 91 million copies of her books have been sold worldwide since her first book was published in 1950. Some of her best known characters are Henry Huggins, Ramona and Beezus Quimby, and Ralph. S Mouse. 
She won the 1981 National Book Award for Ramona and Her Mother and the 1984 Newbery Medal for Dear Mr. Henshaw. For her lifetime contributions to American literature, Cleary received the National Medal of Arts, recognition as a Library of Congress Living Legend, and the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal.

When I first started collecting autographs when I was in high school Beverly Cleary was one of the first autographs I requested and I had just received a pre-printed response from her publishing company. I'm very excited to finally have her autograph in my collection!

She signed the photo I sent her and returned it signed in my SASE in just 13 days.

As Ms. Cleary is now 100 years old and the address I sent to is her personal home address, I'm choosing not to post it publicly. I will advise you though, it is possible to find it out there if you look hard enough!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Mark!

    I stumbled across your Beverly Cleary success on FanMail. I am a teacher in Norfolk, Nebraska -- home of Johnny Carson! My students and I have been trying to track down her mailing address, so that we can send her a letter, but haven't had success. Everything we have found points to her publisher. Is there any chance you would be willing to share her address with me? I promise you I will not publish it or anything like that. We really just want to write her a letter, hopefully obtain her autograph, so we can hang it on the wall of my classroom for all to admire. Thank you for your consideration.

    Taryn Retzlaff
    tarynretzlaff@npsne.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please may I have her address Ive looked everywhere but could not find it. Just some articles about her being in a rest home. I grew up with ramona and it would mean soo much to me silaspolk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please may I have her address Ive looked everywhere but could not find it. Just some articles about her being in a rest home. I grew up with ramona and it would mean soo much to me silaspolk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up! I have a letter written up to semd tomorrow! You're absolutely right - you just have to do a bit of research and put two and two together; I found it in ten minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm from the Philippines and my mom, my aunt, and I love Beverly Cleary and her books so much! I just wanted to ask if you could confirm if this is the correct address to reach her? I just wanted to let her know how far her books have reached!

    Beverly Cleary
    HarperCollins Publishers
    c/o Author mail
    195 Broadway
    Floor 22
    New York, NY 10007
    USA

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete